Minor Settlement

In North Carolina, when a minor receives money from a personal injury or wrongful death claim, an application must be filed with the court for appointment of a guardian ad litem, approval of the settlement, and disbursement of funds. The purpose of this judicial review is to ensure the proposed settlement is fair to the minor child and all interested parties. Except in very limited circumstances, any money that belongs to the minor child from the settlement will be held by or through the court until the child reaches the age of 18 (see also—guardian ad litem).

Talk with us for Free.

The Henson Fuerst attorneys are always ready to talk to you about your case at absolutely no cost to you. We’ll answer questions that you may have and help you get back on your feet.

Home Page Evaluation Form

Free Case Evaluation

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Our Locations



3110 Edwards Mill Rd
Suite 210
Raleigh, NC 27612
(919) 781-1107
Fax: (919) 781-8048
View in Google Maps


2317 Sunset Ave.
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
(252) 443-2111
Fax: (252) 443-9429
View in Google Maps


(828) 295-7469

*By Appointment Only

Scroll to Top
Skip to content