Foodborne Illness/FAQ

1. What are the symptoms of a foodborne illness?

Vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps are the most common symptoms of foodborne illness. However, different types of foodborne diseases cause different levels of severity in side effects. This is why it is important to seek medical attention if you are suffering from a foodborne illness.

2. What causes foodborne illness?

A foodborne illness is caused by viruses or bacteria classified as foodborne pathogens. When consumed, a foodborne pathogen can cause infection and sickness. Some examples include: salmonella, listeria, and E.coli.

3. How much is a foodborne illness case worth?

Depending on the severity of your foodborne illness, you may be entitled to receive compensation for:

  • Lost wages
  • Medical bills
  • Out-of-pocket expenses
  • Permanent disability
  • Physical pain and mental suffering

The North Carolina foodborne illness lawyers at Henson Fuerst will pursue compensation for all damages you may be eligible to recover.

4. How long does a foodborne illness case last?

Our North Carolina foodborne illness attorneys are dedicated to getting you the maximum results in the shortest amount of time possible. Foodborne illness cases can last anywhere from a few months to more than a year, depending on the nature of the illness and surrounding factors.

You can be sure Henson Fuerst will be with you through every step of the legal process. Clients are our first priority, and we will always keep you informed on updates and advances in your foodborne illness case.

5. How do I report a food safety issue?

If you have suffered from a serious foodborne illness, Henson Fuerst recommends alerting health officials as soon as possible so the issue can be evaluated and investigated accordingly. In most cases, you should first notify your local North Carolina health director and the FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator for your region. They will ask you about the severity and duration of your illness and the details surrounding the contamination incident.

If you need further assistance in reporting a food safety issue, the following websites are available:

Location Icon

Raleigh Office

3110 Edwards Mill Rd Suite 100,
Raleigh, NC 27612
P (919) 781-1107
F (919) 781-8048

Rocky Mount Office

2317 Sunset Ave,
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
P (252) 443-2111
F (252) 443-9429

Jacksonville Office

Appointment Only
P (910) 377-7671
Scroll to Top