Veterans Disability FAQ

1. What is veterans disability?

According to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), disability compensation is a tax-free benefit paid to a veteran because of injuries or diseases incurred while on active duty or that were made worse by active military service.

2. How do I obtain a copy of my military records if I can’t find mine?

You can obtain a copy of your military records and replace lost medals and awards by contacting the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Request your records online with eVetRecs or mail or fax a completed copy of Standard Form SF-180 to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Fax: (314) 801-9195

3. Can I file a claim for veterans benefits prior to separation from active duty?

Yes. You can file a claim for disability benefits prior to separation from active or full-time duty through the Benefits Delivery at Discharge or Quick Start programs.

Need help filing your claim for benefits? Contact the North Carolina veterans disability lawyers at Henson Fuerst today at (919) 781-1107 or complete a free initial consultation form.

4. Can I receive veterans benefits if I’m working?

Yes. Only veterans who are considered “unemployable” are unable to work while receiving benefits. The VA will determine if you are unemployable when you apply for benefits.

5. Am I eligible for veterans benefits if I am receiving Social Security Disability benefits?

Yes. Veterans benefits are not considered income. The Social Security Administration will not factor veterans benefits into your total income, which means you may still be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits.

6. Why should I hire a North Carolina veterans disability lawyer?

Having the help of a North Carolina veterans disability lawyer may increase your chances of getting approved for benefits. We understand the law, and we know how to help you prepare your application and appeals paperwork. Find out why you should hire an attorney by calling Henson Fuerst at (919) 781-1107 or completing a free initial consultation form.

7. How long does a veterans disability claim take?

Depending on the nature of your claim, it may take three to five months or even more than a year for your claim to be processed by the VA. Having a North Carolina veterans disability attorney on your side can expedite the time it takes the VA to process your claim.

Location Icon

Raleigh Office

3110 Edwards Mill Rd Suite 100,
Raleigh, NC 27612
P (919) 781-1107
F (919) 781-8048

Rocky Mount Office

2317 Sunset Ave,
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
P (252) 443-2111
F (252) 443-9429

Jacksonville Office

Appointment Only
P (910) 377-7671
Scroll to Top