What if I Have a Mortgage?

When the State of North Carolina, the federal government, or a private business seizes all or part of your land, you’re supposed to receive fair compensation based on your property’s appraised value. But if you have a mortgage on your property, your bank or lender is entitled to part of the money.

The portion of money you receive often depends on the amount of equity in your property. If you have a lot of equity in your home or property, your lender may agree to release some or all of the funds to you. However, if your ratio of equity to loan is low, you may only receive an amount equal to your equity.

[embed-container width=”600px”][/embed-container]

At HensonFuerst, our eminent domain lawyers have experience helping North Carolina property owners who are facing land condemnation. If you’re facing a full or partial seizure of your land, home, church, or business, we want to help you get the fair treatment you deserve.

Find out what HensonFuerst can do to help—just dial (919) 781-1107 or complete our free online form free initial consultation form to get in touch with our legal staff now.

Talk with us for Free.

The Henson Fuerst attorneys are always ready to talk to you about your case at absolutely no cost to you. We’ll answer questions that you may have and help you get back on your feet.

Home Page Evaluation Form

Free Case Evaluation

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Our Locations



3110 Edwards Mill Rd
Suite 210
Raleigh, NC 27612
(919) 781-1107
Fax: (919) 781-8048
View in Google Maps


2317 Sunset Ave.
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
(252) 443-2111
Fax: (252) 443-9429
View in Google Maps


(828) 295-7469

*By Appointment Only

Scroll to Top Skip to content