Wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle is just as important as wearing a seat belt when you’re in a car. In fact, anyone under 16 years old is required to wear a bike helmet in North Carolina. Of course, a helmet only works if it’s properly fitted and worn correctly.
According to the Bike Helmet Safety Institute:
- Always try on a helmet before buying one. It should sit level on your head and be comfortably snug, but not too tight. The helmet shouldn’t move more than about an inch in any direction.
- Check for a U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) sticker inside the helmet.
- Helmets that are white or a bright color increase your visibility to others on the road.
- Cyclists should choose a helmet with a smoothly rounded outer shell, with no sharp ribs or snag points.
- Consider a helmet’s ventilation. Air flow over the head determines coolness and larger front vents provide better air flow.
Bicycle accidents can happen in the blink of an eye. One moment, you are out for a pleasant and invigorating bike ride, and the next your life may be changed forever. That is why, regardless of your level of skill or experience riding a bike, it is crucial to be mindful of bicycle helmet safety at all times.
It is a proven fact that bicycle helmets significantly reduce a cyclist’s risk of suffering head and brain injuries. Even experienced cyclists should make a habit of wearing a helmet every time they go for a ride. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) nearly 1 out of every 4 cyclists that were killed while riding a bike were between the ages of 25 and 54.
At Henson Fuerst, we hope that our Head Injury Prevention Initiative can put an end to tragic and avoidable Brain Injuries that occur as a result of bicycle accidents.
Remember to be safe, wear your helmet, and see our Ride Safe Bicycle Safety page for additional resources.
If you or a loved one suffered catastrophic injuries from a bicycle accident that was not your fault, call Henson Fuerst right away at (919) 781-1107 or fill out a free consultation form online. When you call, you will speak with an experienced Raleigh, North Carolina serious injury attorney absolutely FREE.
We will investigate every detail of your accident at no cost to you. At Henson Fuerst, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front, and you owe us nothing unless we win your case. Let Henson Fuerst defend your right to full and fair compensation for your serious injuries.