June 9, 2011
State investigators are probing into the circumstances surrounding the deaths of two men working for a company based out of Burlington, North Carolina. An article by WRAL News said a person passing by found the deceased men at the bottom of a manhole where they were working.
The deputy director of the State Division of Occupational Safety and Health, Allen McNeely, said that one of the men was working in the manhole when he lost consciousness due to a lack of oxygen. A coworker attempted to rescue the man, but suffocated as well.
When the fire department arrived, they measured oxygen levels in the hole before going in to retrieve the bodies. They found there was not enough oxygen to sustain life.
The men were working for an employer with a history of safety infractions. In fact, the company was fined $40,000 last year for exposing workers to hazards on a job. They reported the death of a worker in 1997, as well, after a bulldozer accident. In all, the company has had eight complaints filed against them in the last 14 years.
Responsibility is on the employer to ensure that work conditions are safe and employees are trained on how to respond to any incident. A North Carolina Wrongful Death Lawyer may be able to help if you have suffered an injury or loss at the fault of an employer. Contact HensonFuerst to discuss your potential case by filling out a free online consultation form.