3 Ways to Prevent Harm From North Carolina Contaminated Water

Water is a key element to life. Without it, plants will not grow and communities cannot thrive. This makes having a clean and pure source for water crucial; however, some businesses fail to take the necessary actions to ensure water sources are protected.

One example of this was highlighted when Tyson Farms—one of the largest poultry producers in the nation—was fined for allowing animal waste to spill into a North Carolina river. The spill allowed contaminated water to flow to the residents of the city of Mocksville and Davie County.

The Charlotte Observer reports on January 4, 2010, a valve froze and burst on one of the company’s waste containment systems, causing more than 210,000 gallons of chicken waste to spill into Hunting Creek, which is a tributary of the South Yadkin River.

The company was recently fined $305,000 for the spill.

Unfortunately though, none of this money will go to those whose livelihoods were possibly affected by the spill, leaving many to question what can be done if you are the victim of water contamination? At HensonFuerst, our team of North Carolina toxic exposure lawyers would suggest following these steps to stay safe and protect your rights to clean water:

  • Boil It- If you believe your water source has been compromised, one of the best actions to take would be boiling any water that will be used for consumption for 10 minutes prior to use.
  • Filter It- Using a filtration system can not only get deposits out of water, but may also be effective in removing microscopic organisms that could cause you harm.
  • Hire an Attorney- You may be entitled to compensation if you or a loved one have been harmed by contaminated water and getting quality legal representation is the first step to doing so.

We are available anytime to help if you have been harmed by a contaminated water source and can be reached by calling (866) 777-1170 or by filling out a free online consultation form on our website.

Location Icon

Raleigh Office

3110 Edwards Mill Rd Suite 100,
Raleigh, NC 27612
P (919) 781-1107
F (919) 781-8048

Rocky Mount Office

2317 Sunset Ave,
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
P (252) 443-2111
F (252) 443-9429

Jacksonville Office

Appointment Only
P (910) 377-7671
Scroll to Top