Dog Bites and attacks are a serious health problem that impact millions of Americans every year. Dogs may be loyal pets to some, but they can cause severe injuries when they bite or attack humans.
If you or a loved one has been injured or attacked by a dog, call Henson Fuerst right away. Dog bite cases can be extremely complex, and require the assistance of an experienced North Carolina Dog Bite attorney. When you trust Henson Fuerst with your case, we will fight hard to ensure that your rights are protected.
The Facts Are:
Dogs are among the most popular pets in the United States, and are a valued member of millions of households. In fact, more than 1 out of every 3 households in the U.S owns a dog, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association.
The Centers for Disease Control estimate that nearly 4.5 million dog bites occur each year in the U.S. Of those millions of dog bite cases, 885,000 victims suffered injuries serious enough to require medical attention.
Here are some additional statistics about dog bites in the U.S, provided by the public education website DogsBite.org:
- There were 34 dog bite-related fatalities in 2015
- Dog bites and other dog-related injuries accounted for over 1/3 of all homeowners insurance liability claim dollars that were paid out in 2015
- In 2015, dog bite insurance claims cost insurance companies more than $570 million
- According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, children ages 5 to 9 are the most likely to receive medical attention related to dog bite-injuries
- Adults with 2 or more dogs in their household are 5x more likely to be bitten than those living without dogs at home
- There are over 60 different kinds of bacteria in a dogs mouth, and up to 18% of people with dog bites become infected with this bacteria